I could honestly eat this every day. Pete’s assistant first made this for me shortly after our arrival here in Mauritius and I get so excited every time she phones to say that she is sending home a portion with Pete. It is so sweet that every time she makes this for her family, she keeps a portion aside for me. Thank you Nan’s. When we move back home, I will think of you every time I make this.
Broad (Butter) Bean and Tomato Casserole
500g packet broad/butter beans
1 litre water
10 tomatoes roughly chopped
1 large onion roughly chopped
1 green chilli
6 garlic cloves
1inch piece ginger
- Soak the beans over night then rinse and place in a saucepan with the salt, sugar, oil and water and bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 30 to 40 minutes until the beans are soft and half of the liquid has evaporated.
- While the beans are cooking, place the tomatoes, ¾ of the onion, chilli, garlic and ginger in a blender and liquidise.
- Place the remaining onion and thyme in a saucepan with a little oil and cook for 2 minutes and then add the tomato mixture and reduce down to a paste.
- Add the beans including the cooking liquid to the tomato paste and simmer for 5 minutes over a low heat.
- Add the parsley and coriander and stir through.
Submitted by: Nanda Seebaluck, Mauritius