No sure how I managed to miss sharing this recipe with you a month ago when I was sharing all my other soup recipes. Spinach soup reminds me of when I was a young girl when we staying in a hotel for a while after my Dad was relocated with business and we had not yet found a new home – I still have a vivid memory of the soup bowls being brought on big trays to the guests. Back to today and my version of Creamed Spinach Soup.
Creamed Spinach Soup
2 cups milk
2 cups vegetable stock
Dash cayenne pepper to taste
5ml grated onion
2 cups finely chopped spinach
Squeeze of lemon juice
- In a pot melt the butter over a medium heat and add the flour and stir until smooth.
- Whisk in the milk then stir in the stock, salt and as much cayenne pepper as you like.
- Continue stirring while the liquid warms, but do not allow to boil.
- Stir in the grated onion and the shredded spinach and simmer gently for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and stir through.