I love the simplicity of this tart and for the most part, the ingredients are always in my cupboard or fridge, and it’s especially nice when clearing out for moving plus it is super yummy. It’s a great recipe for when a couple of friends are coming over for lunch – paired with a crisp green salad or baguette, you have the recipe for a perfect afternoon.
Onion and Cheese Tart
270ml flour sifted
10ml baking powder
500g onions chopped
125ml thick cream
375ml cheddar cheese finely grated
- Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and sugar together.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the milk and cut it into the flour mixture to form a soft dough.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour then roll out and use it to line a greased 24cm pie dish.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C.
- Simmer the onions in the butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Cool and spread over the pastry.
- Beat the cream and egg together and pour over the onions.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
Dot extra butter on top and bake for approximately 25 minutes until set.