One of the most wonderfully quick, easy and oh so yummy recipes that I have come across in the blogosphere is Celia’s recipe for scones and was inspired by her recent savoury version, and instantly knew I wanted to do something similar. The variations are endless for these versatile tasty treats which make for a lovely lunch or weekend breakfast. As nice as the peppadew and chive combination was, I keep wondering how much nicer they would be if I had to add cheese into the mixture. Please let me know if you give them a try.🙂
Peppadew and Chive Scones
3 cups self raising flour
45ml chives finely chopped
45ml chopped peppadews* (I used fresh from the garden)
1 cup cream
1 cup soda water
Butter, cheese and sweet chilli sauce to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl until just combined. The mixture will be quite sticky.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface.
- Dust your hands and the top of the dough with flour and gently shape the dough into a disk and with a floured cutter, cut out the scones, and place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Gently reshape the remaining dough and cut out more scones. I made a total of 12 scones.
- Alternatively shape the dough into a square and divide into 12 or 16 using a floured knife, separate gently and place onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.