I have been on a bit of a scone binge the last few days and just for research purposes made a batch with fresh strawberries – what resulted was a lovely light strawberry flavoured scone – perfect and just for good measure, I served them with strawberry jam and a healthy helping of whipped cream oh and not to forget the ever important cup of tea. It was a very happy afternoon.
3 cups self raising flour
½ cup slithered fresh strawberries
1 cup cream
1 cup lemondade (sprite)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl until just combined. The mixture will be quite sticky.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface.
- Dust your hands and the top of the dough with flour and gently shape the dough into a disk and with a floured cutter, cut out the scones, and place them on a lined baking sheet.
- Gently reshape the remaining dough and cut out more scones. I made a total of 12 scones.
- Alternatively shape the dough into a square and divide into 12 using a floured knife, separate gently and place onto a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.