Yep, this is yet another wonderful meal cooked by Mom, and this time I wrote down the recipe to share with you all. This is wonderfully rich and comforting meal all wrapped up in one dish – I highly recommend that you make it ASAP. Sorry about the picture quality – it does not do Moms food justice – one day though I will have a “real” camera and take much better shots, promise.
Moms Fish Pie
4 medium potatoes – peeled and chopped
Butter, milk, salt and pepper to taste
1 garlic clove crushed
2 x 25g sachets fish stock concentrate – Mom used Ina Paarman’s
120g salmon cut into 1 inch cubes – reserve any skin and bones
120g kingklip cut into 1 inch cubes- reserve any skin and bones
50g haddock cut into 1 inch cubes – reserve any skin and bones
30ml chives chopped
30ml parsley chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes until tender, drain,mash and add butter, milk, salt and pepper to taste.
- In a pot, bring the milk, garlic and any skin and bones to a boil and simmer for a few minutes. Strain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a pot and add the butter to form a roux and add the strained milk and stir until thickened.
- Add the fish stock conentrate and add additional salt and pepper if required.
- Stir in the fish and herbs and place in a baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Spoon or pipe the mashed potato over the fish and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the fish has cooked through.