Tandy’s challenge for this week is to bake something sweet using almonds – I settled on buying flaked almonds and decided to use the filling portion from my recipe for pecan pie and my Aunty Christine’s sweet short crust pastry recipe for the base, which you make and use immediately – no having to put it in the fridge for an hour – what a win! I am thrilled with the result, so a big thank you to Tandy for this weeks challenge. I am just sorry that I couldn’t cut through the almonds any neater for a better picture.
½ cup sugar – I used brown
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
60g butter melted
225ml brown sugar
80ml golden syrup
10 ml vanilla essence
100g flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the egg and about 1 tablespoon of the flour and mix well.
- Add the flour and baking powder and combine to form a dough and roll into a sausage.
- Wrap half the sausage in cling film and freeze for another day. Bonus!
- Press the remaining dough into a 23cm pie dish and prick the base a few times with a fork.
- Bake blind for 10 minutes. (I am sure this step could be skipped as the tart bakes for quite a while. Will let you know next time what it is like without baking the case first).
- Lightly beat the eggs.
- Continue beating and add the butter and brown sugar.
- Add the golden syrup and continue to beat until the mixture is foamy.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- Arrange the nuts in the pastry case and pour the egg mixture on top. The nuts will float to the top.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool until the pie is set.