Since sharing the Pumpkin Pie recipe while we were still living in Mauritius, I have been itching for the opportunity to make the sweet potato version – it just doesn’t warrant making it for 2 of us, even if I halve the recipe – however, having bought the most wonderful sweet potatoes from our local farmer man, I thought it high time to get cracking with this pie and made a couple of amendments along the way which were very positively received by friends and my Pete. 😀
Sweet Potato Pie
1 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
1½ cups milk
100g butter melted
2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potato
¾ cup yellow sugar – I used brown
4 tbsp water
¾ cup milk
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together.
- Add the milk and mix through.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs cream and butter together and then add the pumpkin.
- Add this mixture to the flour mixture, combine and pour into a baking dish.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan.
- Heat until caramelised.
- Add ½ a cup of the milk while stirring constantly.
- Mix the ¼ cup milk with the cornstarch and add to the sugar mixture and stir until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla essence.
- Pour over the pie as soon as it comes out of the oven.