I have been wanting to make stuffed peppers for the longest time but for whatever reason, is just one of those ideas that gets pushed aside or forgotten. I was reminded about this lovely idea when I was visiting over at Zestybeandog’s Blog, which made me put my want into action. Thanks Zestybeandog for the reminder. This is really a tasty meal and we enjoyed the yellow pepper so much more than the red. It seemed to have more flavour once baked.
Sausage Stuffed Bell Peppers
Inspired by Zestybeandog
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 tbsp butter
½ onion chopped
½ cup sliced mushrooms
1 clove garlic crushed
4 pork bangers removed from casings
10ml chicken stock powder
5ml vegetable spice
¾ cup cooked rice
- Cut the tops off the peppers and remove the inner membrane and seeds. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Fry the onion and mushrooms in the butter until tender.
- Add the garlic and and sausage breaking the sausage up into small pieces.
- Add the stock powder and vegetable spice and cook through.
- Stir in the rice and stuff into the peppers.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes.
- Drizzle the peppers with olive oil before serving.