Savoury tarts always make for a scrumptious lunch and come together quite quickly, so if you have last minute guests, you are good to go. I was going to serve these tasty tarts with a all-home-grown salad and when I went to harvest my greens, my lettuce had all but vanished! I had the healthiest most beautiful lettuce not 2 days earlier – I can only assume that all the rain we have been having has something to do with it. What a disappointment, but no matter, these little individual quiches still went down a treat.
Caramelised Onion and Bacon Tarts
1 brown onion thinly sliced
6 rashers streaky bacon chopped
250ml cheddar cheese grated
5ml veggie spice
Black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Caramelise the onions over a medium heat in a little olive oil and butter. Set aside.
- Fry the bacon until cooked through.
- Beat the eggs in a jug and add the milk, veggie spice and pepper.
- Divide the onion and bacon into 4 10cm prepared quiche tins. *
- Divide and spread the cheese over the onion and bacon.
- Pour over the egg mixture and bake for 15 minutes.
*If using the loose bottom tins, place them on a baking tray in case they leak.