I read about this lovely idea over at Ashley’s, The Driven Cook’s blog and set to making this healthy lunch idea with a slightly less healthy white rice and amended the recipe ever so slightly. This is a super idea to use up left over rice which I always seem to have, on the few occasions that I do cook rice. I bet that brown rice would add a nice nutty flavour.
Broccoli Cheese Quiche with a Rice Crust
2 cups rice cooked – the original recipe called for brown rice
¼ cup cheddar cheese grated
½ cup milk – the original recipe called for 1 cup
2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup cheddar cheese grated
1 tsp veggie spice – this was not part of the original recipe
Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 230°C.
- Mix the crust ingredients together and press into a prepared quiche dish.
- Bake for 7 minutes and allow to cool slightly.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 190°C.
- Combine the filling ingredients and pour into the crust and baked for 25-30 minutes. The original recipe calls for 35-40 minutes.