Today is my birthday so thought it appropriate to celebrate with some vanilla cupcakes but could not decide between vanilla and chocolate icing so I made both. I finished these delectable treats off with a sprinkling of glitter. I have also heard this fun glitter called, pixie dust, fairy dust and crystals. I am now on the hunt for new colours. Its amazing how differently it reflects on the vanilla icing versus the chocolate icing – so pretty!
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
¾ cup milk
2 tsp baking powder
1½ cups cake flour
¼ tsp salt
250g icing sugar
30ml cocoa powder
50g butter at room temperature
10ml vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the milk alternating with the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Divide the mixture into 12 prepared muffins tins and bake for 15 minutes.
- Beat all the ingredients together in a bowl for 3 minutes.
- Pipe over the cupcakes and sprinkle with glitter.
* If you are making vanilla icing, increase the icing sugar to 300g and omit the cocoa powder.