I read about these tasty snacks over at Sarah’s Place a couple of months back and finally got around to making them. They are super easy to make and are great served with cocktails. Reckon they would would well with a dip too. They have a lovely crispy exterior with a lovely soft interior – I’m sure you could bake them longer to make them crunchy all the way through. These are like little mini cheesy bread sticks. Thanks Sarah for a lovely recipe.
1¼ cups all purpose flour
⅓ cup cold butter chopped
¾ cup grated Greyere cheese – I used cheddar as that’s all I had on hand
1 tbsp fresh oregano chopped – I used dry
1 egg yolk
1-3 tbsp water
1 tbsp sea salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the flour and butter to a food processor and pulse until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Add the cheese and oregano and process for 10 seconds until combined.
- Add the egg yolk and 1 to 3 tablespoon of water and process until just combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form into a ball.
- Using 3 teaspoons of the dough, roll out into a stick approximately 15cm and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Lightly brush the cheese sticks with water and sprinkle with the sea salt.
- bake for 12 to 15 minutes until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack.