For somebody who doesn’t cook pasta very often, I have made up for lost time recently. Macaroni and Cheese is one of those super comfort meals that you can eat with your feet up on the couch while watching TV – not that I would ever do that… Frying some onion and bacon to add into the mix makes this an even more scrumity, not to mention the truck load of cheese. If you prefer to bake your Mac ‘n Cheese before serving, top with a breadcrumbs and parsley mixture before baking.
Macaroni and Cheese
250g macaroni or pasta of choice
1 onion sliced
6 rashers bacon diced
2 cups cheddar cheese grated
5ml chicken stock powder
Pepper to taste
1 large tomato chopped
- Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions.
- Fry the onion in a little olive oil or butter until lightly browned, add the bacon and fry until cooked through. Set aside.
- In a pot, melt the butter and the flour and stir through to form a roux.
- Add the milk and continue to stir until thickened.
- Add the cheese and stir through until incorporated.
- Add the stock powder and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the bacon and onion and macaroni.
- Stir in the tomato just before serving.
- Serve as is or bake for 20 minutes in the oven preheated to 180°C.