I have a fantastic recipe for Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins but I am always up to trying a new recipe, especially if it is quick and easy. I saw this recipe (originally a cake but you all know I like to make individual portions) over at The Hungry Mum. When I try a new recipe, I always make it as stated. The flavour of these muffins are spot on but I wasn’t entirely happy with the texture – they were a little heavy. Take two with a slightly amended method, replace the butter with oil, add salt, one less egg et voila, a lovely light muffin which made for a lovely pudding with a scoop of ice cream. Thanks Hungry Mum. I hope you don’t mind that I amended the recipe.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Slightly adapted from The Hungry Mum
½ cup sunflower oil
¾ cup caster sugar
2 extra large eggs
¾ cup milk
5 tsp lemon zest
2 cups self raising flour
½ tsp salt
7 tsp poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line 12 muffins pans with paper cases.
- Beat the oil and sugar together.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until foamy.
- Add the milk and lemon zest.
- Fold in the flour, salt and poppy seeds.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 muffins pans and bake for 15 to 16 minutes.