Friends of ours belong to our local community police forum and recently the police held a talk at the school in the township with the catchy slogan “Do Sport and Stay Out of Court” – the youngsters need so much guidance away from crime so every little bit of help they can get the better. Our friends Nick and Caz sponsored, made and supplied the cake while some of the juice was sponsored by Alpha Pharm for the 128 youngsters for after the talk – a treat that is like Christmas, their Birthday and Easter all wrapped up into one.
So when feeding the masses as it were, big cakes are necessary, hence the Beer Box Cake. I had a taste of the last standing slice and it is a lovely light crumbed and moist sponge cake. :-)
Beer Box Cake
This cake is ideal for cutting into squares for functions and large parties as well as for cutting out shapes for birthday novelty cakes.
8 large eggs
750ml castor sugar
500ml boiling water
150ml sunflower oil
20 ml vanilla essence
815ml cake flour
30ml baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Staple the corners of the beer box and line with tinfoil and grease.
- Beat the eggs and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Blend in the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the prepared box and bake for 35 minutes.
- Cool completely and ice as desired.
For a Vanilla Cake, adapt as follows:
Omit the cocoa
Add 125ml cake flour
Reduce the sugar to 625ml