After my brown bread, as promised, I have added a few seeds – sunflower rather than pumpkin and replaced the brown bread flour with nutty wheat flour. This loaf is fabulous and perfect for cheeses and preserves or just with lashings of butter. Moving forward I will toast the sunflower seeds a bit before adding them to the loaf as they will add a bit more of a “nutty” flavour as opposed to just texture in the loaf.
Nutty Wheat Sunflower Loaf
2 cups nutty wheat flour
1tsp instant yeast
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp oil
1 cup warm water
¼ cup sunflower seeds
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the oil, water and seeds and mix to combine. The mixture will still be quite sticky.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and gently knead for 5 minutes. You may need to add a little more flour over the top of the dough to prevent it sticking to your fingers.
- Place the dough in a clean bowl and cover with a cloth and set aside in a warm spot until the dough is double in size.
- Softly knead the mixture on a lightly floured surface and then place in a prepared bread tin. Sprinkle a few more sunflower seeds over the top of the loaf and lightly press down to stick to the dough.
- Allow the dough to rest and fill the tin.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Bake the bread for 20 to 25 minutes until baked through and lightly browned.