I thoroughly enjoy a good Crème Caramel and loved the recipe I saw over at Tandy’s blog, Lavender and Lime. I was thrilled with the result when I made them and will definitely be making them again. I must admit though that majority of the caramel stuck to the base of the mould and can only assume that I let it colour a little too much before spooning it into the moulds. I would suggest you remove the caramel as soon as it starts colouring to prevent it sticking like toffee in the mould.
½ tsp lemon juice
½ tbsp water
1 cup milk
1 vanilla pod, split down the middle
2 egg yolks
62g caster sugar
- Spray 4 moulds.
- Heat the sugar, lemon juice and water until pale in colour and divide amongst the moulds.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Place the milk and the vanilla pod into a saucepan and bring the the boil.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks and sugar.
- Strain the milk into the eggs and whisk quickly.
- Pour the custard over the caramel.
- Place the moulds into a bain-marie (water bath) using hot water and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the moulds from the bain-marie and allow to cool.
- Turn out and leave to cool before serving.