But we know what I am like – a cake just has to be turned into cupcakes – I just cannot help myself! I saw this recipe on the reverse side of a piece of paper for Kedgeree which I was supposed to make for Pete. Oops! Well, I never had any salmon or smoked trout on hand so couldn’t make the kedgeree anyway plus I have all these baking cases which need to be used and icing nozzles and piping bags and and and… You know how it is, right?
This recipe was printed in the 24 March 2013 edition of The Sunday Times, I think, as we only kept the one page insert and it doesn’t make any reference to the newspaper at all on either side of the page.
The cake was titled – Wacky one-pan eggless chocolate cake, you know one of those recipes where everything is mixed in one bowl – my kinda recipe.
No matter where the recipe came from, its fabulous – quick, easy and results in a lovely light, moist and spongy cupcake. I made my normal butter icing and if you replace the milk with water, it is still technically dairy free as butter is classed as a fat.
Dairy Free Chocolate Cupcakes
1½ cups cake flour
¾ cup caster sugar
¼ cup cocoa powder sifted
¾ tsp bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt – I would take this up to at least ½ tsp
5 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup water
Fresh berries to serve – I never used berries
Icing sugar for dusting – I made icing, recipe below
Whipped cream to serve – I iced the cupcakes instead
300g icing sugar
50g butter at room temperature
2 tsp vanilla essence
±2 tbsp milk (water)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Spray a 20cm cake pan with non stick cooking spray. If you are making cupcakes, use a 2.5 litre jug.
- Place the flour, sugar, cocoa, bicarb and salt in this pan (jug) and mix.
- Using a wooden spoon, make one large indentation in the mixture and two smaller ones.
- Pour the oil into the large hole and the vinegar and vanilla into the smaller holes.
- Gradually add the water mixing until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Bake in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes. Cool in the pan before turning out onto a rack. Top with berries, dust with icing sugar and serve with the cream.
- Alternatively if you are making cupcakes, pour the mixture between 10 muffin sized prepared baking cases and baked for 15 minutes. They dome beautifully.
- Combine the icing ingredients for 3 minutes and ice cupcakes once completely cooled.