I saw this recipe over at Passion Fruit Garden and if Glenda says its a winner then it is a must try. Thanks Glenda, we thoroughly enjoyed this lovely cake, although think it would be as lovely without the syrup over the top.
Lemon Drizzle Cake
Zest of 2 lemons
1¼ cups caster sugar
¼ cup lemon juice
¾ cup natural yogurt
1¼ cups flour
1½ tsp baking powder
¼ cup sugar
Zest of one lemon
⅛ cup lemon juice
Optional: Powdered sugar for decorating
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Line the bottom of a 20-22 cm cake tin with baking paper and grease the sides with butter.
- Cream the butter, lemon zest and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Add the lemon juice and yogurt and mix well.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder and add to the main mixture – lightly mix together.
- Place batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the cake is firm to touch.
- Meanwhile, combine the syrup ingredients in a small saucepan and heat to dissolve the sugar.
- When the cake is cooked, remove from the oven, allow to sit for couple of minutes and transfer to a serving plate.
- Whilst the cake is still warm, pour the syrup evenly over it.
- Once completely cooled, sprinkle with powered sugar.