Whilst I have always been thrilled with my Crème Brûlée recipe, I am always happy to find an excuse to try a new recipe and when I saw this gloriously simple one over at Giovanna’s I knew it wouldn’t be long before I found a reason to try it.
This is also one of those wonderful desserts you can prepare the day before needed.
As seen at: Blue Jelly Beans
6 egg yolks
3 or 4 Tbsp sugar – I used 3 caster sugar
1 vanilla pod or 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract or natural essence
4 Tbsp brown sugar – I used caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 140°C.
- Beat the yolks and sugar in a large bowl until creamy and light in colour. I used electric beaters whilst Giovanna recommended using a wooden spoon to prevent air bubbles while baking.
- Heat the vanilla and cream until before boiling point. Remove from the heat and slowly add to the egg mixture, stirring continuously.
- Divide the mixture between 8 ramekins (You could also strain the mixture before pouring into the ramekins to prevent excess air bubbles) and place inside a baking tray and add boiling water until it reaches half way up the ramekins.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the custard sets.
- Cool and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle castor sugar over each custard and caramelise using a blowtorch or by placing them under the grill.