This fruit pickle recipe is the absolute best I have ever tasted and always have a bottle in the fridge.
3 cups crushed green mangoes
Salt for sprinkling over mangoes
5ml mustard seeds
5 red chillies
6 garlic cloves
5ml turmeric powder
- Peel, pit and crush the mangos into small pieces.
- Sprinkle salt over the mangos, mix well and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Place all the other ingredients in a pestle and mortar and pound roughly.
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and add the pounded mixture.
- Dry the mangos by squeezing them thoroughly through a tea towel and add them to the pan and mix well.
- Bottle the Kutcha in sterilised bottles and refrigerate.
Additional chopped small fresh green chillies can be added for extra heat just before bottling.
Submitted by: Nanda Seebaluck, Mauritius