Macaroni and Cheese ranks as one of the all time favourite comfort foods and is a cinch to make, however it’s one of those meals I don’t make very often and when I do, I thoroughly enjoy it, and is usually a meal for evenings when I have been out or busy the whole day and just never got as far as planning supper.
Macaroni and Cheese
250g macaroni or pasta of choice
1 onion sliced
4 rashers bacon diced
11/2 cups cheddar cheese grated
5ml chicken stock powder
Pepper to taste
1 large tomato chopped
- Cook the macaroni according to the package instructions.
- Fry the onion and bacon together over a medium heat until the onion is translucent and set aside.
- In a pot, melt the butter and the flour and stir through to form a roux.
- Add the milk and continue to stir until thickened.
- Add the cheese and stir through until incorporated.
- Add the stock powder and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the bacon and onion and macaroni.
- Stir in the tomato just before serving.
- Serve as is or bake for 20 minutes in the oven preheated to 180°C.