I guess I should have posted this recipe in the holidays but this is a wonderful summer recipe for any occasion.
100g digestive / tennis / marie biscuits crushed
50g melted butter
¼ cup sugar
3 Tbs cornstarch
1 cup evaporated milk
2 egg yolks lightly beaten
1 Tbs butter
1 tsp vanilla essence
4 mangoes sliced
Strawberries halved to decorate (optional)
- Combine the crumbed biscuits and melted butter and press into a shallow pie dish and refrigerate.
- Mix the sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan.
- Gradually add the evaporated milk and cook over a medium heat, stirring until thick.
- Add a heaped tablespoon of the milk mixture to the egg yolks and combine, then place into the saucepan with the remaining milk mixture and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla essence.
- Place custard mixture into the pie crust and top with the mango slices forming a rose pattern from the middle outwards.
- Decorate with strawberries (optional).
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.