It doesn’t feel like it but yesterday was my 4th year anniversary of blogging. What a fun 4 years it has been. I am looking forward to sharing more with you over the next 4 years. :-)
I saw this recipe over at Rufus’ Food and Spirits Guide and was immediately dashing down the passage to see if I had any lentils in stock.
I modified the recipe slightly, as listed below for the ingredients I had on hand and doubled it to serve as a main meal which I served with naan (recipe coming soon) and would definitely make it again but next time I would increase the coriander, mustard and cumin seed quantities.
Red Lentil Dahl
2 tsp coriander seed
1 tsp mustard seed
½ tsp cumin seed
1 tsp cayenne powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
2 cup red lentils
1 onion chopped
3 tbsp garlic minced
3 tbsp ginger minced
400g tin tomatoes
8 cups chicken stock
Coriander chopped to serve
- Grind the whole spices to a powder and mix with cayenne and turmeric.
- Sauté the onion in a little oil in a pot until translucent and soft.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for one minute.
- Add the lentils and stir to coat.
- Add the tomatoes, spice mixture and chicken stock, mix through and bring to a simmer. Partially cover and turn the heat to low. Cook for 40 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Serve with fresh coriander and naan.