Further to my post of yesterday for Naan Bread, this is an alternative to making this incredibly moreish bread.
Oven Baked Naan Bread
1 tsp dried active yeast
1 tbsp warm water
1 tsp sugar
250ml plain flour
pinch black onion seeds (optional)
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp natural yoghurt
2 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 140˚C.
- In a bowl, mix the yeast with one tablespoon of warm water. Stir in the sugar and leave it in a warm place for 10 minutes until the yeast is covered with froth.
- Meanwhile, mix together the flour, onion seeds, salt and baking powder. Stir in the oil, yoghurt and milk and then stir in the activated yeast mixture.
- Knead the dough until soft and pliable, around 8 to 10 minutes.
- Place the dough in a mixing bowl, cover with cling film or a damp cloth and leave it in a warm place to rise for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into four balls and roll each into a long oval shape. Don’t roll them too thin as they will turn out like crisps.
- Place them on a greased baking tray and place them in the centre of the oven for 10 to 15 minutes. They are ready when they have puffed up a little.
Brush with melted butter and garlic when baked.
Submitted by: Mandy Frielinghaus, Mauritius