Aah, the famous and original Quiche Lorraine. There is something comforting about tucking into a piece of this tart. Then again, how can you go wrong with bacon, eggs, cream and cheese – yummy. Except if you are a vegetarian that is.
Pinch of salt
2 large eggs
2 egg yolks
300ml double cream
Salt and pepper to taste
250ml cheddar cheese
- Rub the flour, salt and butter into a breadcrumb consistency.
- Add a small amount of milk and knead. Add a tiny bit more milk if necessary.
- Leave the ball of pastry in the fridge for an hour and then leave at room temperature for half an hour.
- Roll out the pastry and put into a flan tin.
- Pinch the base of the pastry.
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C.
- Chop and fry the bacon and sprinkle into the pastry base.
- Beat the eggs and egg yolks together and add the double cream, salt and pepper and pour the egg mixture over the bacon.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the egg mixture.
- Bake at 190˚C for 25 to 30 minutes.
Serve hot or cold.
Submitted by: Chris Olsen, Mauritius