Rhubarb is not top of my list of things to enjoy however Pete on the other hand has the fondest memories of it from childhood but has not eaten it since then! My mom has been wanting to make Pete her world famous pie for the longest time but until recently was unable to source any – now it is everywhere! First up was the green variety which was home grown by my sister in law Karin and second up was the red variety which is much more tart in flavour. Pete enjoyed the green variety much more.
Mom’s Rhubarb Pie
½ cup sugar
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
± 6cups rhubarb washed and chopped
½ cup sugar – more if needed
1tsp lemon juice
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the egg and about 1 tablespoon of the flour and mix well.
- Add the flour and combine to form a dough and roll into a sausage and cut in two.
- Wrap half the sausage in cling film and store in the fridge to firm up.
- Press the remaining dough into a pie dish and prick the base a few times with a fork.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place the rhubarb, sugar and lemon juice in a pot and gently simmer until soft. Once cooked check the rhubarb for sweetness and add more sugar is needed and heat through to dissolve.
- Allow to cool slightly and pour into your pastry crust until just under full and grate the pastry directly from the fridge over the top.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
- Enjoy with ice cream, custard (Pete’s favourite) or double cream.